On Korean Men
I am practically surrounded by Korean men in my workplace, and while my officemates would probably say how they’ve barely managed at least a minute of casual talk with me given such “aloofness” that I exercise inside the office, I must say that I have, and will probably always have in my mind, the most striking conversations with them.
Korean men are actually interesting. They may not be the best-looking men (face-wise) on earth, but they certainly are the most-buffed Asians. Their firm bods must be the result of their two years in military service. I am just not a fan of chinky and lid-less pairs of eyes. And I have sworn loyalty to the classic Borgy Manotoc and Leonardo DiCaprio “crush-ness”. Haha.
It is one thing to have a look at what the appearance can offer, it is another thing to spend time and talk to these men. It’s given— they are world-class heavy drinkers and workaholics. But believe me, there’s definitely more than meets the eye.
Conversation #1: Ignorance of Religion
Saturday weekend. A day after I arrived in South Korea. He was helping out with moving in and with buying things for my new house.
Korean Man: Hey, so what are you doing tomorrow?
Ella: Oh, I heard that there is a place here in Seoul where Filipinos usually gather so I might check it out. There is also a church there, so I want to hear the mass tomorrow.
Korean Man: Why?!?!
(I’m like, why not?)
Conversation #2: Going Against the "Boy as First-Born" Policy
After-work dinner in a HOF bar with a colleague, in my first few months in South Korea.
Korean Man 1 (talking about another Korean Man): His wife is actually pregnant. He is expecting their first child.
Ella: WOW! Do you want a boy or a girl as your first-born?
Korean Man 2: I want a daughter. You know why? Because in Korea, when your daughter marries, you practically submit her to the husband and his family. So you are free from responsibilities and expenses by then.
Conversation #3: The Olympic Dream
Lunch appointment with colleagues in a Vietnamese restaurant.
Korean Man 1: If I don’t get married and have a kid, I will adopt a child from Kenya.
Me: Oh really, why?
Korean Man 1: I heard that Africans run very fast, so I will take good care and train a boy from Kenya and make him the best athlete so he can make it to the Olympics.
Korean Man 2: (Slightly laughing) That is what you call investment.
Korean men are actually interesting. They may not be the best-looking men (face-wise) on earth, but they certainly are the most-buffed Asians. Their firm bods must be the result of their two years in military service. I am just not a fan of chinky and lid-less pairs of eyes. And I have sworn loyalty to the classic Borgy Manotoc and Leonardo DiCaprio “crush-ness”. Haha.
It is one thing to have a look at what the appearance can offer, it is another thing to spend time and talk to these men. It’s given— they are world-class heavy drinkers and workaholics. But believe me, there’s definitely more than meets the eye.
Conversation #1: Ignorance of Religion
Saturday weekend. A day after I arrived in South Korea. He was helping out with moving in and with buying things for my new house.
Korean Man: Hey, so what are you doing tomorrow?
Ella: Oh, I heard that there is a place here in Seoul where Filipinos usually gather so I might check it out. There is also a church there, so I want to hear the mass tomorrow.
Korean Man: Why?!?!
(I’m like, why not?)
Conversation #2: Going Against the "Boy as First-Born" Policy
After-work dinner in a HOF bar with a colleague, in my first few months in South Korea.
Korean Man 1 (talking about another Korean Man): His wife is actually pregnant. He is expecting their first child.
Ella: WOW! Do you want a boy or a girl as your first-born?
Korean Man 2: I want a daughter. You know why? Because in Korea, when your daughter marries, you practically submit her to the husband and his family. So you are free from responsibilities and expenses by then.
Conversation #3: The Olympic Dream
Lunch appointment with colleagues in a Vietnamese restaurant.
Korean Man 1: If I don’t get married and have a kid, I will adopt a child from Kenya.
Me: Oh really, why?
Korean Man 1: I heard that Africans run very fast, so I will take good care and train a boy from Kenya and make him the best athlete so he can make it to the Olympics.
Korean Man 2: (Slightly laughing) That is what you call investment.
1 comments:
Wahahahaha, napaka-interesting nga nila. At humorous. LOL.
Post a Comment