Saturday, April 12, 2008

Survival Korean

I’ve had this little Korean book with me since this whole I-want-to-work-in-Seoul saga, and this has so far been a mainstay in my bag wherever I go. I’ve always been the type who bring books for what I call “emergencies”, in times when boredom strikes or when I have to do some waiting anywhere when I am out of the house.

I remember having bought this out of a gift certificate from one of the famous upscale bookstores in the metro, which I got it as some prize from my previous work.

This phrase book can really come handy for short-time travelers in the country, enough for anyone to throw common greetings and probably survive a minute or two at a convenience store buying something. You’d have a hard time doing bargains and price haggles though.

In my first-time January trip to Seoul, there were just three phrases I think that I had the bull mouth of speaking out loud to converse and be understood:

Annyong haseyo (hello)
Kamsa-hamnida (thank you)
Yong-O-rul hashimnikka? (Do you speak English?)

Thanks to the book. But if I am to push my way into living with Koreans in my everyday work (for at least a year), then I think it’s time to buy a bigger, more comprehensive text.

Geez, all this waiting for the visa. It’s driving me nuts.

END OF POST. NO MORE

0 comments:

  © Blogger template by ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP